CoWatch, Alexa and Amazon Smart Home integration.
You can use CoWatch to control Alexa-enabled products such as lights, switches, thermostats, and more. Using the Alexa app on your CoWatch and your voice enabled skills, ask Alexa to switch on a lamp, turn on the fan, dim the lights, or increase the temperature. Some products work directly with Alexa and other smart home ecosystems require a compatible hub.
Set up or use a smart home skill, go to Connect a Smart Home Device to Alexa.
Lighting is the perfect place to start with Smart Home integration and Amazon has a great selection of starter kits that include Alexa compatible hubs and by extension, your CoWatch. They also come with light bulbs, outlets and sensors that you can control with your voice through Alexa.
The Philips Hue Starter Kit is Alexa compatible and offers color ambience settings.
The Wemo switch and smart socket series works directly with Alexa and CoWatch (no hub required).
Using Alexa with Wemo, you can control appliances from anywhere in the world as well as monitor your energy use, set schedules, and receive notifications. Wemo also works with Nest thermostat.
Connect your Smart Home Device to Alexa
After you set up a smart home device, enable the Skill to connect it to Alexa.
Important: Please read Safety Information for Using Smart Home Devices with Alexa before you enable a smart home skill.
- On your mobile device, download the manufacturer’s companion app for your smart home device.
- Use the manufacturer’s companion app to set up the smart home device on the same Wi-Fi network as your Alexa device.
- Download and install the latest software updates for your devices.
To connect your smart home device to Alexa:
- Open the Alexa app and select Skills.
- Select Categories and choose Smart Home.
- Browse or search keywords for the skill for your smart home device and select Enable Skill.
- Tip: If there isn’t a skill for your device or service, verify that the device is compatible with Alexa. If it is, try the second set of steps below titled “Smart Home Devices without a Skill.”
- If prompted, sign in with your third-party information and then follow the prompts to complete setup.
- Discovery begins after you have signed in to the skill.
Smart Home Devices without a Skill
Philips and WeMo devices do not require a skill to connect to Alexa. To connect these smart home devices:
- Philips devices:
- Hit the button on your device bridge.
- Say “Discover devices.”
- WeMo devices:
- Say “Discover devices.”
After a successful discovery you can then control the device with your voice.
Note: If you turn off or unplug your smart home device and then turn it back on, it may take some time before Alexa can rediscover the device. If Alexa can’t discover your device, check the companion app for your smart home device to ensure that it’s on the same Wi-Fi network as your Alexa device.
Please follow these guidelines when using smart home devices with Alexa.
When you connect devices and services to Alexa, anyone speaking to Alexa can operate those products. This includes products such as garage doors, locks, and appliances. Please follow these recommendations when using connected devices with Alexa:
- Follow all instructions and recommended uses for smart home devices.
- After making a request, confirm the action was completed on the smart home device.
- Take steps to ensure the security of your Alexa supported device and safe operation of your connected products. For example, if you do not want Alexa to respond to voice commands (like when you are away from home), turn off microphones on your Alexa supported device.
You can also use Lock up with August:
With an August Lock and the new August Home skill for Alexa, you can now use your voice to lock your doors or check the status of your locks. Double-check that the front door is secure as you fall asleep-or lock up the house without interrupting movie night.
You’ll need an August lock and an August Connect hub to use this skill. Once your devices are set up and named (for example, “the front door”), go to “Skills” in your Alexa App to enable the August Home skill and link your account. Then just ask:
- “Alexa, ask August to lock the front door.”
- “Alexa, ask August to check the status of my lock.”
To order an August lock and hub, just ask:
- “Alexa, order an August lock.”
- “Alexa, order an August Connect.”
Check out Amazon’s Complete List of Compatible Smart Home Devices here: